Great update in the new driver... BUT...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Artesiastp

Great update in the new driver... BUT...

Post by Artesiastp » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Why did you have to invert the controls from their old default in 3ds max? now I have to go in and invert them every day. My school uses a network image that resets when you restart the computer so I have to install the driver every time I want to use it. Now there's an additional step to work in 3ds max.

On the plus side, I don't have to manually copy files to get it to work in maya with this update. That's always good. Old drivers didn't put the magellanstartup() at the beginning of the script file.

Pasha_Sevez

Post by Pasha_Sevez » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:07 am

After installing new drivers ALL my Max versions (2009-2011, x64) navigation stop working correctly. First of all max can't load 3dxstd.dlu - it doesn't informs on some errors, but it's impossible to launch max configuration window. Secondly, all axis are inverted although previous version had correct axis orientation. Another strange artifact was noticed - when trying to navigate (camera still moves, but isn't configurable) a small blue cross appears in the world origin.
Though Maya versions works perfectly, I had to roll back to previous version of 3dxstd.dlu (but only for max 2009 and 2010) which works fine.
Looking forward to your assistance because for Max 2011 the problem still exists.
Image[/img]

Artesiastp

Post by Artesiastp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:08 pm

the blue axis is the center of rotation, which you're able to change, and is actually a great new feature. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you otherwise. It's working for me, I just have to invert every axis.

Artesiastp

Post by Artesiastp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Here's a suggestion for a future release.

How about if during installation you are asked if you would like Camera or Scene relative navigation

Camera relative moves the objects relative to the camera, so tilt the knob forward and the object rotates forward

Object relative moves the camera in relation to the object, tilt the knob forward and the camera rotates above the object.

Basically this would save those of us who think of the knob as a camera controller rather than a knob used to rotate the object on the screen, the hassle of going into the settings for every app we use and reversing the axis for all 6dof.

Artesiastp

Post by Artesiastp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:52 pm

I Tried Camera mode, and I have to go and turn off the reversed axis. Basically I like the difference between camera and object mode to be where the view is rotating, one rotates around itself (camera turns side to side) the other orbits around a central area, or object. I like both to control the same, so in order to get this working I have to make 2 configs one with the reversed axis and one without, then switch manually...

Rather inconvenient. it wasn't like this before... It seems you took away features, I recall 3 camera operating modes and a "enable object movement" checkbox. Now there are only 2 modes, and object mode moves the camera as if enable object movement was enabled, but leaves the object in place and moves the camera with the reversed axis to what you're normally used to...

I'll try this driver version for a while, but if it gets on my nerves too much I might have to roll back.

You added a cool new feature, and seemed to take several away.

Pasha_Sevez

Post by Pasha_Sevez » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:08 pm

In new version even there's no splash screen! Although the plugin IS in the utilities list! If you run it directly from this place, there's no effect at all as at the startup.

Pasha_Sevez

Post by Pasha_Sevez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Does anyone know how to solve this problem??? Why old 3dxstd.dlu works fine while new one fails ?

arch515

Post by arch515 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 am

I have the same problem!!! New driver does not act completely (2011 max)!! Inspector crouches! It will not give to work Se completely , I beg about help. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

rstadie

Post by rstadie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am

Hi :)

I would like to understand what you need. With the latest driver
there was a new feature introduced, the 3D Mouse Pop-Up Menu which
can be opened using the Menu or Panel button on your 3D Mouse:

Can you see this Pop-Up Menu?

In the "Advanced" section you will also find the "Move Objects" option
(formerly known as "enable object movement").

The splash screen and other panels have been removed. You should find
everything you need on this new pop-up panel - are you missing something?

Basically there are, as you noticed, two navigation modes available (in Perspective Mode):

A) Object Mode (default)
Basically the object on the screen behaves as if the cap on your 3D Mouse
was welded on the blue cross, the "Rotation Center" of your object. Your
view is fixed but you move the scene as if you were holding it in your
hand.

B) Camera Mode
This is a free camera. You move your view as if the controller cap in your
hand would be a camcorder. If you look through a target camera you will
have a different experience - you will move the camera around a fixed
rotation center ("target").

Is there something wrong with these modes? Are you missing functionality or does something not work correctly?
Robert Stadie

smartkid_10101

Post by smartkid_10101 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Is there something wrong with these modes? Are you missing functionality or does something not work correctly?
YES!

Ok let me explain what I'm used to.

First off, I LIKE BOTH OF THE MODES. However, because of the way MAX handles cameras we need a third, or a modified first mode.

HERE WE GO...

CAMERA MODE is a FREE CAMERA which rotates around the free camera's position. THIS IS ANNOYING and generally not useful when modeling. Why?

Because when we are working we generally want to ORBIT around whatever our focus is. IE. If I'm modeling a crate, I want to be able to twist my 3D mouse and have my view-port orbit, or rotate around the box.

THIS IS ESSENTIALLY A TARGET CAMERA with the focus being on the selected object or intelligently set, NOT A FREE CAMERA.

NOW

OBJECT MODE acts like a target camera because of the fact that when we twist on the mouse, we get an orbit. However, when we do this, we are thinking like 3D MODELERS in that we are controlling the CAMERA, NOT THE SCENE. We always control the camera, never the scene. This makes navigating feel COMPLETELY WRONG, and pissed us off IMMEDIATELY!

In fact, the second I saw this I slammed the control panel icon and started checking off the "reverse" icons. I was asking myself the question, "WHY did they mess with this? GAH!"

Now I was a bit angry until I read your description. I understand now, YOU are thinking in logical terms, move the scene or move a free camera, but in fact there are two VERY important things to learn here.

1. DONT MESS WITH OUR DEFAULT SETTINGS! Please!

Please, do mess with our settings.

Just for dramatic effect, maybe this will stick, PLEASE... don't change those defaults. If there is anything Max users are known for, it's becoming grumpy when our settings are messed with. Max still behaves like version 4, the first freaking public release.

2. We need a mode that is a targeted camera that allows us to orbit the area of view.

NOW THINGS THAT I LIKE!

- Blue tick mark is a GREAT addition!

- Menu thingy is fine and well.

- No splash logo is great too!

I also liked the puzzle game that came with the update. Too about five minutes to solve.

PLEASE fix this quickly.

Thanks.
Cody Smith
Polynomic Studios
www.Polynomic3D.com

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 pm

rstadie wrote: Can you see this Pop-Up Menu?
I can't open this menu. Neither with the SpacePilot, nor with the SpacePilotPro. What is the name of the command? The reason why I can't access this menu is probably because of my custom cfg's. But even when I try to change the button mapping, I don't know the command for this menu.

And it would be good to introduce an inversed checkbox, so that one can use the controller cap as one is used to since years. The rotation and translation is now in the wrong direction for me. Earlier driver versions had the 'correct' directions. I must go back to MMB and alt key to pan and rotate, like in the early days when there was no 3dx device.

hAvoc

Post by hAvoc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 am

Hey,

You say, that can access the new Pop-Up Menu with the Menu or Panel button on my 3D Mouse...

Well, I own a SpaceNavigator... It has no Menu oder Panel button...

So, where the hell can I access that menu?

Pasha_Sevez

Post by Pasha_Sevez » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 am

rstadie wrote:Hi :)

I would like to understand what you need. With the latest driver
there was a new feature introduced, the 3D Mouse Pop-Up Menu which
can be opened using the Menu or Panel button on your 3D Mouse:

Can you see this Pop-Up Menu?

In the "Advanced" section you will also find the "Move Objects" option
(formerly known as "enable object movement").

The splash screen and other panels have been removed. You should find
everything you need on this new pop-up panel - are you missing something?

Basically there are, as you noticed, two navigation modes available (in Perspective Mode):

A) Object Mode (default)
Basically the object on the screen behaves as if the cap on your 3D Mouse
was welded on the blue cross, the "Rotation Center" of your object. Your
view is fixed but you move the scene as if you were holding it in your
hand.

B) Camera Mode
This is a free camera. You move your view as if the controller cap in your
hand would be a camcorder. If you look through a target camera you will
have a different experience - you will move the camera around a fixed
rotation center ("target").

Thank you rstadie! :) You helped me to find out the reason of trouble occurred. I couldn't get to new configuration menu because in my previous driver configuration both side buttons (I'm an owner of SpaceNavigator) have been remapped to move/camera toggle and Ctrl modifier accordingly. After aliasing 3dx menu command to one of them I could open it and check the required options. Everything works completely fine now!

Thanks again! New driver is absolutely nice and correct! :D

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:05 am

what is the exact name of the command to call that menu?

Finally I found how to inverse the axis. Still, one has to invert them each time, as Artesiastp reported. And the viewport performance while rotating is less good than in earlier driver versions.

Pasha_Sevez

Post by Pasha_Sevez » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 am

Phil999 wrote:what is the exact name of the command to call that menu?

Finally I found how to inverse the axis. Still, one has to invert them each time, as Artesiastp reported. And the viewport performance while rotating is less good than in earlier driver versions.